What to expect
We are not like any other vet because we provide home pet euthanasia, and we always use the 3-Stage Technique:
Another most important part of the 3-Stage Technique that Paul uses is that it is at home. Your pet will be calm and relaxed in the company of friends and family.
When Paul visits, you can expect it to be calm and quiet. Have a look at our reviews for more detail on what people feel about our visit.
We use the most up-to date and gentle methods for home pet euthanasia. These have been refined and developed over a lifetime of experience and research.
Alternative terms for euthanasia are “put to sleep”, “put down” or “PTS”.
This is a system developed by specialist vets, and now adapted by Paul of Quietus Vet for his patients. The 3-Stage Technique is globally acknowledged as the gold-standard. It benefits both pet and owner.
Achieving a calm and anxiety-free unconsciousness by the time we arrive at the final injection is at the heart of the 3-Stage Technique.
Stage 1 - A very simple small injection (given under the skin like a booster vax) – we assess your pets needs and create a mix most appropriate to your pet.
Stage 2 - Another simple injection that your pet will not feel. This induces a deeper sleep with the aim that there is no knowledge of the last injection:
Stage 3 - The final injection. And - because of the Quietus Vet 3-Stage Technique - we can be 100% certain your pet feels no pain, distress or excitement.
Paul is not here to replace your usual vet. They are the best people to keep your pet healthy and happy.
He can work alongside your normal vet to make this essential event as good as it can be.
Normal vets don’t mind you calling us. They're happy to know your pet is in good hands.
1) First – call Paul on any of our numbers listed below. Speak to Paul, or leave a quick message if he is unable to answer at that moment.
2) On the phone, we will have a brief discussion about you and your pet and will decide on a date and time for Paul’s visit.
Paul will need some details from you (your pet’s name, your name, address and phone numbers. That sort of thing). If you know what services you need, you may wish to pre-pay over the phone before the visit.
3) The visit – We will arrive at the agreed time (or will have called you if he has been delayed for some reason).
We will ask you to sign a consent form authorizing humane euthanasia (put to sleep) for your pet. The form also confirms that you have authority to sign this request. You can give us permission to inform your normal vet if you wish.
That’s the paperwork done.
4) We will create a special mix specifically designed for your pet. It’s a tiny injection – like a vaccination but with a smaller needle. This is stage 1 of the “3-Stage Technique”.
5) Take these 5-10 minutes to share your pet's experience of being relaxed and pain-free. It's a special opportunity to stay in contact with them. Both dogs and cats are still aware of your touch and your voice at this point despite appearing sleepy.
6) We will then give a second injection to further improve their sleepiness. This is your opportunity to say your goodbyes as your pet becomes unaware of everything.
7) The stage 3 (final) injections. We may clip some hair. By this stage, your pet is totally asleep and has no knowledge or feeling at all that anything is being done. The total unconsciousness we have achieved to this point is at the heart of our Quietus Vet 3-Stage Technique.
When you are ready, we will deliver the final stage.
You’ll notice very little change in your pet at this point. Just some muscle relaxation (there may be some leakages at this stage – totally normal and natural. We will contain it using a blanket or pad).
We will then check that everything has stopped – usually using a stethoscope. We can leave you alone again at this stage if that is what you need.
8) Depending on your aftercare choices, we may leave you all at this stage. Or, we will gently carry your pet to the car. We will require help lifting larger dogs - we have equipment to help.