What to expect and why we are different.
We have been offering this service since 2017. What we do is still unique - We always use the 3-Stage Technique: which is what makes us different.
When we visit, you can expect it to be calm and quiet. And we listen.
Have a look at our reviews for more detail on what people feel about our visit.
We use the most up-to date and thoughtful methods for dog and cat euthanasia at home. These have been refined and developed over a lifetime of experience.
Alternative terms for euthanasia are “put to sleep”, “put down” or “PTS”.
The 3-Stage Technique is globally acknowledged as the gold-standard. It benefits both pet and owner.
We achieve a calm and anxiety-free full-unconsciousness by the time we arrive at the final injection. This is at the heart of our 3-Stage Technique.
Stage 1 - A very simple small injection (given under the skin like a booster vax) – we assess your pets needs and create a mix most appropriate to your pet.
Stage 2 - Another simple injection. This induces a deeper sleep with the aim that there is no knowledge at all of the last injection:
Stage 3 - The final injection. We can be certain your pet feels no pain, distress or excitement.
We can work alongside your normal vet to make this essential event as good as it can be.
1) First – call us on any of our numbers listed below. Speak to us, or leave a quick message if we are unable to answer at that moment.
2) On the phone, we will have a brief discussion about you and your pet and will decide on a date and time for our visit.
We will need some details from you (your pet’s name, your name, address and phone numbers. That sort of thing).
3) The visit – We will arrive at the agreed time (or will have called you if we have been delayed for some reason).
We will ask you to sign a consent form authorizing humane euthanasia (put to sleep) for your pet. The form also confirms that you have authority to sign this request. You can give us permission to inform your normal vet if you wish.
That’s the paperwork done.
4) We will create a special mix specifically designed for your pet. It’s a tiny injection – like a vaccination but with a smaller needle. This is stage 1 of the “3-Stage Technique”.
5) Take these 5-10 minutes to share your pet's experience of being relaxed and pain-free. It's a special opportunity to stay in contact with them. Both dogs and cats are still aware of your touch and your voice at this point despite appearing sleepy.
6) We will then give a second injection to further improve their sleepiness. This is your opportunity to say your goodbyes as your pet becomes unaware of everything. This is the special extra stage that only we use.
7) The stage 3 (final) injections. We may clip some hair. By this stage, your pet is totally asleep and has no knowledge or feeling at all that anything is being done. The total unconsciousness we have achieved to this point is at the heart of our Quietus Vet 3-Stage Technique.
When you are ready, we will deliver the final stage.
You’ll notice very little change in your pet at this point. Just some muscle relaxation (there may be some leakages at this stage – totally normal and natural. We will contain it using a blanket or pad).
We will then check that everything has stopped – usually using a stethoscope. We can leave you alone again at this stage if that is what you need.
8) Depending on your aftercare choices, we may leave you all at this stage. Or, we will ask you to help us carry your pet to the car. We will require help lifting larger dogs - we have equipment to help.